[Peace-discuss] AFL-CIO Executive Council Opposes Wars (via UFPJ)

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu
Fri Aug 5 12:01:27 CDT 2011

Much better late than never...

> The AFL-CIO Executive Council released a statement Aug. 3 for the first time
> clearly stating:
>
> "There is no way to fund what we must do as a nation without bringing our
> troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan. The militarization of our foreign
> policy has proven to be a costly mistake. It is time to invest at home."

more below...

----- Forwarded message from Lisa Fithian <fithianl at igc.org> -----

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 11:12:53 -0500
From: Lisa Fithian <fithianl at igc.org>
Subject: [ufpj-activist] FW: [Ufpj-leg-action] AFL-CIO Executive Council
	Opposes Wars (Message from Judith LeBlanc)
To: 'UFPJ' <ufpj-adcom at lists.mayfirst.org>,
	'ufpj-activist' <ufpj-activist at lists.mayfirst.org>,
	"'Ufpj-Sc at Lists.Mayfirst. Org'" <ufpj-sc at lists.mayfirst.org>

This is excellent news - saw it yesterday in the USLAW blast and agree with
Judith's sentiments below...good work USLAW and everyone else who has kept
pushing labor to do the right thing!

The AFL-CIO Executive Council released a statement Aug.3 for the first time
clearly stating:

"There is no way to fund what we must do as a nation without bringing our
troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan. The militarization of our foreign
policy has proven to be a costly mistake. It is time to invest at home."

Read the full statement:

Fake Political Crises and Real Economic Crises - A Call for Leadership and
for Action

http://www.aflcio.org/mediacenter/prsptm/08032011.cfm

This is a critical advance in the public position of the leadership of the
AFL-CIO, which has long resisted such a direct criticism of the wars, the
military budget, and the spending priorities of the Obama administration.
In no small measure, this results from the patient and persistent work of
hundreds of US Labor Against the War affiliate resolutions and vigorous
internal debates within the labor movement at all levels.

What makes this development even more powerful is that the AFL-CIO Executive
Council's statement follows a meeting of AFL-CIO leaders with President
Obama on Tuesday at the White House.

This development opens the door to more intense activity at all levels of
the labor movement to partner with community, social service, religious,
student, and other organizations for racial and economic justice in an
effort to turn back the deficit mania sweeping the country and establish new
priorities in public policy that create jobs and provide the social services
people need.

Congratulations to all who have done this work.

Judith Le Blanc

Field Director
Peace Action & Peace Action Education Fund

Post: Ufpj-leg-action at lists.mayfirst.org

To Unsubscribe
        Send email to:  Ufpj-leg-action-unsubscribe at lists.mayfirst.org
        Or visit: https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/options/ufpj-leg-action/fithianl%40igc.org