[Peace-discuss] Fw: Will the “Super Congress” represent us?

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 19:14:34 CDT 2011

--- On Mon, 8/8/11, Rashad Robinson, ColorOfChange.org <info at colorofchange.org> wrote:

From: Rashad Robinson, ColorOfChange.org <info at colorofchange.org>
Subject: Will the “Super Congress” represent us?
To: "Jenifer Cartwright" <jencart13 at yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2011, 2:02 PM

#yiv1179683173 , #yiv1179683173 td, #yiv1179683173 font {font-size:10pt;}
#yiv1179683173
#yiv1179683173 td p {margin:0em;}
#yiv1179683173 p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv1179683173 td div p {margin:1em 0em;}

The new “Super Congress” could cut Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, and might not insist the wealthy pay their fair share.
 Tell Pelosi and Reid to appoint members who will fight for all of us:

Dear Jenifer,
As a result of the debt ceiling deal signed by the President, a small committee of Democrats and Republicans from both houses of Congress will meet very soon to decide how to cut $1.5 trillion from the federal budget. The stakes are huge — Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and many other important programs could be slashed.
The twelve members of this committee — which is being called the “Super Congress” — will have enormous power to reshape our government. Unfortunately, Nancy Pelosi recently said that there are “no lines in the sand” for the Super Congress — meaning that she may be willing to allow cuts to programs like Social Security and Medicare.1
We need to insist that the Super Congress has members who will fight to protect the interests of everyday Americans, including Black folks, the middle class and the poor. Can you make a quick phone call to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid? It takes just a moment:
http://act.colorofchange.org/go/922?akid=2095.394109.76Y5vk&t=3
A bad deal
You and more than 70,000 ColorOfChange members urged a fair resolution to the debt-ceiling standoff that engulfed Washington. But earlier this week, President Obama and Democrats in Congress cut a terrible deal with Republicans to raise the debt ceiling.
The plan will cut about $1 trillion from the federal budget immediately, meaning billions of dollars in cuts to programs that regular people rely on every day such as WIC, food stamps, and job training — but it asks nothing of millionaires, billionaires, or corporations.
As if that weren’t enough, the debt deal sets us up for deep cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and other important safety net programs.2 This is where the Super Congress comes in — it’s tasked with cutting an additional $1.5 trillion from the deficit. This could come in the form of more cuts to government programs, tax increases, or a combination of the two. Republicans are already saying that they will oppose any tax increases — even tax increases for the rich and corporations. And most analysts are saying that the Super Congress is very likely to recommend cuts to Social Security and Medicare. That’s why it’s so critical that we demand the Super Congress has members who will look out for our interests.
Please take a moment to call Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid (or both, if you're able) and ask them to appoint members who will pledge that any cuts are met with new revenues, and who refuse to allow Medicare, Medicaid, WIC, and student aid to be cut -- programs that are critical to maintaining a basic safety net. It takes just a moment:
http://act.colorofchange.org/go/922?akid=2095.394109.76Y5vk&t=5
A dangerous vision for America
What’s likely just as bad as the direct effects of this deal is what it says about the vision our elected officials have for this country. This deal puts America, its people, and our economy on a fundamentally different course — one where government does much less to guarantee a basic level of health, economic stability and security, and equal rights for everyone, while the rich are not asked to pay their fair share.3
Both Democrats and Republicans are now promoting an incredibly harmful economic myth as reality — the myth that the national debt is harmful in the immediate term, and that cutting government spending will somehow help the economy. The truth is exactly the opposite — during a recession, government spending is critical to create jobs and stimulate the economy. Cutting government programs now in order to reduce the deficit will harm the entire economy and hit the most vulnerable of us particularly hard. And it will keep regular people out of work at a time when unemployment is approaching 9% nationwide and hovering at 20% for Black folks — with some majority-black cities seeing joblessness at rates not seen since the Great Depression.4
During the debate over the debt ceiling, Nancy Pelosi said “It is clear we must enter an era of austerity; to reduce the deficit through shared sacrifice.”5 The acceptance of this false narrative by the leadership of both parties has meaningful real-world consequences — a study by the nonpartisan Economic Policy Institute projects that the debt limit deal could actually cost the nation 1.8 million jobs by 2012.6 The promotion of this economic myth means that it will be even more difficult to enact policies meant to create jobs and protect those who’ve been most ravaged by the nation’s unemployment crisis. And it means that Social Security and Medicare — which have been an essential part of economic stability for millions of Americans — will be under increased threat.
For years, ColorOfChange members have fought for an economy that provides opportunity and a basic level of security for everyone. That work is more important than ever now. We’re going to keep giving you opportunities to challenge the false narratives that are dominating Washington’s approach to economic issues, and to push for an economy that works for everyone.
Right now, one of the most important things you can do is to demand that the Super Congress defends the interests of regular people, and forces the rich and corporations to pay their fair share. Please take a moment to give Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi a call, and ask them to appoint members who will insist on a fair sharing of the burden and who share our vision for the country.
http://act.colorofchange.org/go/922?akid=2095.394109.76Y5vk&t=7
Thanks and Peace,
-- Rashad, James, Gabriel, William, Dani, Matt, Natasha and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team
   August 8th, 2011
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU--your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:
http://act.colorofchange.org/go/205?akid=2095.394109.76Y5vk&t=9