[Peace-discuss] But I'm a Cheerleader!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 11 12:47:34 CDT 2011

[In spite of the prose, the following letter to the NYT was not written by an
8-year-old, but by a professor of political science at Ohio University -
illustrating once again that political science is to science as military music
is to music - cheerleading, in both cases. --CGE]

[It is] wrong to look backward to the New Deal for its contents. Your
grandfather’s Democratic Party isn’t going to cut it in a world that has been
radically transformed by the Internet.

The country needs President Obama’s leadership to help us look forward and
address our economic problems in new ways that are every bit as creative as the
New Deal was in its day, but that aren’t the same as the New Deal.

The world has changed, and our political parties need to catch up quick! The
gridlock we’ve been seeing is a form of hanging on to the past for both the
Democrats and the Republicans.

SUSAN BURGESS
Athens, Ohio, Aug. 8, 2011