[Peace-discuss] un mec

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 14 02:29:31 CDT 2011

In the US today there's quite a conscious campaign - of which we'll hear more in
the coming month - to assimilate the dead marines to those who died in the 9/11
attacks, as victims of terrorism and therefore reasons for continuing the
imperial war.

McGovern's article is a necessary corrective. So are honest accounts of what the
Obama administration is actually doing in the Greater Middle East, e.g.,

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/south_asia/mh10df01.html

- and of what the weasel-words "the work of securing our country" actually mean.

Too many Americans would agree with the fantastic statement that the marines
died "to protect our freedom."