[Peace-discuss] War story

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 23 09:37:46 CDT 2011

[From Andre Malraux, /Anti-Memoirs/. --CGE]

...In 1940 I escaped with the future chaplain of the Vercors. We met again
shortly afterward in the little town in the Drome where he was parish priest and
where he used to hand out baptismal certificates wholesale to Jews...
"What has confession taught you about [people]?"
"...First of all, people are much more unhappy than one thinks...
"...And then, the fundamental fact is that /there's no such thing as a grown-up
person.../"

###