[Peace-discuss] Obama to American Legion on Vietnam

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 20:03:41 CDT 2011

When Communist forces in Vietnam unleashed the Tet Offensive, it fueled the debate here at home that raged over that war.  You, our Vietnam veterans, didn't always receive the respect you deserved-which was a national shame.  But let it be remembered that you won every major battle of that war.  Every one.  And as President, I've been honored to welcome our Vietnam veterans to the White House to finally present them with the medals and recognition they had earned.  It's been a chance to convey, on behalf of the American people, those simple words with which our Vietnam veterans greet each other-"welcome home."

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/08/30/obama-american-legion-remarks/