[Peace-discuss] the U of I, banks vs. credit unions, and Occupy Wall Street

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:32:55 CST 2011

The U of I Alumni Association has recently informed me that whereas in the
past, I could have had a University of Illinois-branded credit card through
Bank of America, now I can only do this through the U of I Employees Credit
Union (see below.)

I thought this was interesting because, as I'm sure many of you are aware,
there has been some buzz around a national push, loosely associated with
Occupy Wall Street, to get people to take their money out of banks and put
it in credit unions.

So that made me curious about what went into the U of I decision, and
whether it was "political" at all, in a good way; and whether that could be
built upon to do other things.

Could the University of Illinois - and other universities - "divest" from
Wall Street banks, as a matter of policy?

Probably an outright ban on economic relations would be very hard to
implement.

But there are other ways to do it. When the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
adopted a policy against doing business with companies that were involved
in apartheid South Africa, they didn't do so by means of an outright ban.
They did it through a bid preference. If you were a company that *didn't*
do business in South Africa, you got a 2% bid preference in securing
contracts. That way, if there was no plausible alternative to a bad
company, Massachusetts could do business with the company. This dodges
arguments that adopting the policy is going to incur huge costs. It also
says you're going to implement the policy going forward; you don't have to
cancel existing contracts.

Note that when Governor Quinn was State Treasurer, he adopted a policy that
the State of Illinois is only going to hold its money in banks that invest
in the local community. So, relative to our immediate political context,
the idea that public institutions should take responsibility for the
actions of banks where their money is held is not "radical."

What do you think?