[Peace-discuss] I looked up the stabbing victim's faculty bio

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:17:37 CST 2011

[ I looked up the recent alleged hate-crime/stabbing victim's faculty
bio and thought I would share, simply because the news stories are all
saying the victim was non-white. I've included a history of his
education (Ph.D. University of California-Berkeley and M.Ec.
University of Western Australia), recent work (2009 to present at the
U of I; University of Connecticut before that), and a photo. On a
separate line of thought, I am wondering if the alleged attacker has a
history of mental illness. -karen medina ]

=== a re-ordering of the news stories so that they make more sense to
me at least ===
A witness told police that the men (the attacker and the victim) were
both seated in the waiting area for the train in the Champaign
transportation terminal second floor when one man, a 23-year-old from
Fithian Illinois -- Joshua Scaggs, suddenly jumped up and shouted that
this was his country and he attacked the other man, Anurudha Udeni
Dhammika Dharmapala -- a 41-year-old law professor at the University
of Illinois who was waiting for the train to Chicago.

Scaggs appeared to be choking Dharmapala as he then forced the victim
to the floor. But as the witness pulled them apart, the witness
noticed that the attacker was holding a utility knife and the victim
was bleeding. Dharmapala sustained about a six-inch cut on his throat
which bled profusely. Police also found another folding knife in
Scaggs' pocket.

Although police arrested Scaggs for the offense of hate crime,
Assistant State's Attorney Steve Ziegler opted not to file it because
the other charges carry heavier penalties and he's confident he can
prove the aggravated battery based on the information he has. The
Champaign County state's attorney's office has filed three felony
charges against Scaggs. Evidently the charges are two charges of
aggravated battery and an attempted murder charge. The attempted
murder charge is a Class X felony carrying a mandatory prison sentence
of between 6 and 30 years.
====== bio =====
Dhammika Dharmapala
Professor

Ph.D. University of California-Berkeley
M.Ec. University of Western Australia

Dhammika Dharmapala joined the Illinois faculty in the fall of 2009
from the University of Connecticut Department of Economics. Professor
Dharmapala is an authority in tax policy, public economics, law and
economics, and political economics. He recently co-authored the
article, "Taxing the Bandit Kings" in the Yale Law Journal Pocket
Part. He was recently named to the National Tax Association board of
directors.

Professor Dharmapala earned his master's degree in economics from the
University of Western Australia and his Ph.D. in economics from the
University of California-Berkeley. He served as an international
research fellow at the Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation
and a visiting professor of business economics and public policy at
the University of Michigan.

Prior to arriving at Connecticut in 2002, Professor Dharmapala was a
postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University and a John M. Olin Visiting
Fellow in Law and Economics at Georgetown University Law School. He
serves on the editorial board of the Review of Law and Economics.