[Peace-discuss] Tim Johnson on Israel-Palestine

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Fri Dec 9 17:42:20 CST 2011

Quotation from a letter received a few days ago in response to a letter I sent to withdraw our 3B$/year aid to Israel:

…In the war-torn region of the Middle East, Israel stands alone as one of our strongest allies, a bastion of democracy. Because of their [sic] commitment to democracy and the United States, Israel has been the target of aggression since its inception. This treatment is manifested by the refusal of most nations to recognize the right of Israel to even exist. Every day Israel faces the prospect of attacks by surrounding nations and terrorist organizations such as Hamas with the aid of Iran.
	Additionally. Iran continues in their [sic] efforts to develop a nuclear capability that would dramatically tip the balance of power in the Middle East, and constitute a grave threat to the United States. Despite constant threats and attacks from surrounding countries, Israel continues to promote democracy. Thus the support of Israel is in the best security interests of the United States.

Then he goes on to state that he's in favor of a two state solution "that ensures Israel's security".

The next question for Tim is what he would like us do about Iran, with a nuclear weapon or two, or without?

I don't know what his position has been with respect to our actions in Libya,

and how much he is willing, if at all, to cut the war/national security budget.

--mkb