[Peace-discuss] Is a Vote for Romney a Vote for War?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Dec 27 18:14:01 CST 2011

This is quite right. In attacking "nation-building," Bush was
criticizing the Clinton-Gore war against Serbia.

People forget that Bush was elected as the peace candidate in 2000 (as
Nixon was in 1968).

And as Obama was in 2008. (After the Democrats were given control of
the Congress in 2006 to end the war - as they recognized - they had to
lie about it for two years, in aid of Obama's co-option of the antiwar
movement - an important ingredient in his election.)

"Most of the population did not take the year 2000 presidential
elections very seriously. Three-fourths of the population regarded the
process as a game played by large contributors (overwhelmingly
corporations), party leaders, and the PR industry, which crafted
candidates to say 'almost anything to get themselves elected,' so that
one could believe little that they said even when their stand on
issues was intelligible. On most issues citizens could not identify
the stands of the candidates - not because of ignorance or lack of
concern; again, the system is working. Public opinion studies found
that among voters concerned more with policy issues than 'qualities,'
the Democrats won handily. But issues were displaced in the political-
media system in favor of style, personality, and other marginalia that
are of little concern to the concentrated private power centers that
largely finance campaigns and run the government. Their shared
interests remained safely off the agenda, independently of the public
will. [For data on the elections..., see Ruy Teixeira, American
Prospect, December 18; Thomas Patterson, head of the Harvard
University Vanishing Voter Project, op-eds, NYT, November 8, Boston
Globe, December 15, 2000.]" <http://www.chomsky.info/articles/200104--.htm