[Peace-discuss] how about an Occupy *bank*? (from The Nation)

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 28 09:16:58 CST 2011

http://www.thenation.com/article/165333/revolution-through-banking

Some excerpts from this article by Carne Ross (along with other good
words - it's worth reading the full article):

[...] One evening in Zuccotti Park, I somewhat rashly, and without much
forethought, stood up and announced that I wanted to set up a working
group to explore alternative systems of banking. I did not have a clear
plan but felt that we had to get to the heart of the problem. If we
could change banking and make it embody the values of Occupy—equality,
transparency, democracy—we might not only change the financial industry
for the better, but also change the very nature of the economy—and thus
society itself.

Other members of the group share this ambition. Those who have joined
the group represent an extraordinary and eclectic mix. There are army
vets and unemployed students, but also a large number of financial
experts: former derivative traders, SEC regulators, bankers, financial
analysts and bloggers and even a professor of financial law. We have no
shortage of expertise, and no shortage of determination either.

Over the last several weeks, we have been examining what legislative
changes are needed to reform the banking sector: some day soon there may
be Occupy-originated proposals and draft legislation, for instance to
amend the so-called “Volcker Rule”. One group has split off to explore
and design the creation of an ideal bank that would put into practice
the values of Occupy. What would this look like?

The ideal bank would be democratically owned and controlled by its
customers and its employees. Like at many credit unions, all depositors
would get an equal say, regardless of the size of their accounts. It
would be nonprofit, building in a competitive advantage over the
for-profit banks. It would be accessible to all, in particular the poor
(we are inspired by the Grameen Bank, started by Mohamed Yunus in
Bangladesh). It would be a bank that anyone can bank with and receive
better service than what they receive today at conventional banks. Any
small-scale bank we establish in, say, New York would have be to be
replicable by others elsewhere.

The banking crisis was caused by several intrinsic characteristics of
the financial system. The level of debt and risk was concealed by the
unintelligibility but also by the secrecy and opacity of many banking
practices. The infamous credit default options concealed risk as they
spread it and were barely understood even by the bankers trading or
buying them. In contrast, an Occupy bank would be wholly transparent,
perhaps even in real time, showing transactions as they happen.
Technology now makes this plausible. Likewise, technology has enabled
new peer-to-peer platforms where borrowers and lenders negotiate with
each other directly. We have also discussed minimizing risk by adopting
some of the ideas of Laurence Kotlikoff, whose concept of “limited
purpose banking” permits no buildup of liabilities within a bank,
because all liabilities would be mutualized. Kotlikoff proposes that
banks would essentially become clearing houses where investors would
“buy” the loans of other customers via a cash-based mutual fund. The
bank would not itself hold any loans, thereby eradicating the risk of a
bank run.

[...]

Our group works on, and we are well aware that we may not succeed. But
there are other groups around the country thinking about this problem:
Occupy San Francisco is already setting up its own credit union. Perhaps
our work will inspire someone else to set up a bank like the one we are
imagining. If many attempts are made, there is a greater chance that one
will succeed.

Make no mistake, the kind of bank we are discussing is both plausible,
and better, than the conventional for-profit banks. It can and should be
done. These ideals are the stuff that make Occupy such an exciting
movement to be part of. The chance exists to change the very nervous
system of the economy, and make it fairer, open and more democratic. In
this way, we can begin to undermine the domination of our economy and
society by those who seek nothing but profit, at any cost, including to
the world economy. We can replace it with a system which both embodies
and promotes other values that are equally if not more important:
equality, democracy and justice.