[Peace-discuss] Liberal embarrassment

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 1 02:05:09 CST 2011

Rachel Maddow Supports Aid to Mubarak
Justin Raimondo, January 31, 2011

So you thought it was only the wackos on the neocon right who support Mubarak?
Wrong! I'm listening right now to Rachel Maddow, MSNBC's resident ultra-liberal,
attack Rand Paul for being "offshore" because he calls for ending the $1.5
billion in "aid" to the Egyptian military.

  "Offshore"?

Well, uh, yes, because you see "politics stops at the water's edge," everyone in
both parties supports the President's non-policy regarding the Egyptian events,
and only "offshore" (read: off-the-wall) types, like the "isolationist"
(Rachel's word) Rand Paul think otherwise.  Stupidly, she lumps in Paul with
John "Invade the World" Bolton --- who supports Mubarak (just like the Obama
administration, which continues to fund Mubarak's secret police thugs). She also
noted that Paul wants to end aid to Israel --- "Of course," as she put it.

"Of course"? Really? Rand Paul's bravery in sticking his neck out on this
sensitive issue is to be commended --- but not if you're Rachel Maddow, who has
never --- /ever/ --- critcized Israel on her oh-so-"liberal" show.

Back when she was just another Air America airhead, Maddow invited me to be on
her program: I declined, just because I wasn't in the mood for liberal bromides
that day. I thought she was a hack then, and now that she's famous she's even
more of a partisan hack than before.

What I'd like to know is this, though: why does Maddow think funding the
Egyptian torture machine, and the Israeli occupation of Palestine, is good for
America? How does it serve our legitimate interests? Is it "stimulus" money?
Does she just support any and all government spending as a matter of high
principle? Or does she really think it's a good idea for us to be subsidizing a
regime so brutal that even the US State Department characterizes it as "repressive"?

Rachel, Rachel,/Rachel/ --- you can't be serious. The Egyptian people want us to
stop supporting Mubarak: it's that simple. If that's "offshore," then so be it.

UPDATE:

"The Ed Show' follows the Maddow tirade on MSNBC, and there's good old Ed --- a
protectionist China-basher with a slightly thuggish look --- demanding to know
why the US sends $1.5 billion a year to Mubarak. Maybe he should ask Rachel that
question. Oh, and he's pushing a poll --- you text in your vote --- asking
people whether they think the US should cut the aid. I guess Rachel will be
voting "yes."