[Peace-discuss] More serious economics

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 1 14:44:28 CST 2011

▶ 'What's the difference between a dead cat on the motorway and a dead banker on
the motorway? There are skidmarks around the cat."

▶ A man is stuck in traffic. He asks a police officer about the hold-up and he
replies: "The head of the Bank Of England is so depressed about the economy he's
stopped his car and is threatening to douse himself with petrol and set himself
on fire. So we're taking up a collection for him." The man asks: "How much have
you got so far?" The policeman replies: "About 40 gallons, but a lot of people
are still siphoning."

▶ A young banker decided to get his first tailor-made suit. As he tried it on,
he reached down to put his hands in the pockets and to his surprise he found
none. He mentioned this to the tailor who asked him, "You're a banker, right?"
The young man answered, "Yes, I am." "Well, whoever heard of a banker with his
hands in his own pockets?"

▶ What do you call 12 bankers at the bottom of the sea with their feet in cement
blocks? A good start.

▶ A man visits his bank manager and says, "How do I start a small business?" The
manager replies, "Start a large one and wait six months."

▶ Why don't sharks attack bankers? Professional courtesy.

▶ A London banker dies in poverty and so his local pub decides to raise funds
for his funeral. One day a man walks into the pub and is asked to donate 20p for
the fund. "What's it for?" he asks, and the landlord tells him. So he reaches
into his pocket, hands him a £5 note and says, "Here, go and bury 25 of them."

▶ And finally: What's the problem with banker jokes? Bankers don't think they're
funny, normal people don't think they're jokes.

[OK, I know they're old and you've heard them about lawyers, too, but as
Shakespeare's family motto had it, "Vero nihil verius" (nothing is truer than
truth). --CGE]