[Peace-discuss] Humanitarian imperialism

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 10:16:26 CST 2011

A while back, a young Canadian woman came to the negative attention of the
legislature for a Master's thesis she had written:

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/24619/1/Peto_Jennifer_201006_MA_thesis.pdf

This analysis is too academic for my taste, but contributes to the discussion by
framing it within the U.S-Israel relationship (pdf p. 78):

I want to close my discussion of human rights with a word of caution. I agree
with analyses that show how human rights discourses are a form of
governmentality that are instrumental to Western imperialism, and I have
demonstrated here how this discourse functions within hegemonic Holocaust
education to further Zionist political goals. That said, I want to emphasize
that even as I am critical of the deployment of human rights discourses within
hegemonic, Zionist Holocaust education, and by oppressive, Western regimes
generally, I still see the importance, and even the urgency, of using this
discourse within popular struggles. On a practical level, human rights
discourses can provide language and tools for resistance and struggles against
oppressive regimes. I acknowledge that Western imperial powers often deploy this
discourse towards racist, violent ends, which makes the use of human rights
problematic in the ways that Grewal and Puar describe, but I also still believe
that this contradiction is an inherent weakness of these regimes that can be
exploited strategically. Much of the critique of human rights discourses comes
out of the very accurate observation that they are so often aimed at non-Western
states and cultures, thereby (re)producing Orientalist