[Peace-discuss] What we're up against

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Feb 4 21:30:01 CST 2011

"I've devoted a lot of time and effort to the question of how to reach the
American mind concerning US foreign policy. To a large extent what this comes
down to is trying to counterbalance the lifetime of indoctrination someone
raised in the United States receives. " William Blum

=
"When you grow up in middle America you are inculcated from the earliest age
with the belief - no, the understanding - that America is the richest and most
powerful nation on earth because God likes us best. It has the most perfect form
of government, the most exciting sporting events, the tastiest food and amplest
portions, the largest cars, the cheapest gasoline, the most abundant natural
resources, the most productive farms, the most devastating nuclear arsenal and
the friendliest, most decent and most patriotic folks on Earth. Countries just
don't come any better. So why anyone would want to live anywhere else is
practically incomprehensible. In a foreigner it is puzzling; in a native it is
seditious. I used to feel this way myself." -  Bill Bryson

=
"Without education, we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated
people seriously."  -  G.K. Chesterton