[Peace-discuss] From Obama's man in Cairo

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Feb 5 20:52:00 CST 2011

I don't think the U.S. is particularly worried about driving young Egypt into
the arms of Al Qaeda, because (a) it's not very likely: the closest analogue to
AQ is the Muslim Brotherhood, who despite some US propaganda have been playing a
subsidiary role in the opposition; and (b) the real threat for the USG is
independence - an Egyptian government (or other government) that doesn't follow
Washington's orders, whatever its ideological stripe.

Thus the US and its allies have regularly supported radical Islamists, often to
prevent the threat of secular nationalists who would be disobedient. A familiar
example is Saudi Arabia, the ideological center of radical Islam (and of Islamic
terror). Another in a long list is Zia ul-Haq, the most brutal of Pakistan's
dictators and President Reagan's favorite, who carried out a program of radical
Islamization (with Saudi funding), the source to some extent of both the Taliban
and AQ.

Also I think the suggestion in the cartoon isn't quite right: the US is not a
petroleum junkie - it's the godfather, determined that no one else horn in on
the drug trade over which it presides...