[Peace-discuss] Simple solutions

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Feb 5 22:08:50 CST 2011

This reminds me that

(a) I haven't kept up with my Italian class this intersession; and

(b) James Connolly wrote in an article on conscription in WWI,

"One great source of the strength of the ruling class has ever been their
willingness to kill in defence of their power and privileges. Let their power be
once attacked either by foreign foes, or domestic revolutionists, and at once we
see the rulers prepared to kill, and kill, and kill. The readiness of the ruling
class to order killing, the small value the ruling class has ever set upon human
life, is in marked contrast to the reluctance of all revolutionists to shed blood."