[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] Fwd: Save NPR and PBS

David Johnson dlj725 at hughes.net
Sun Feb 13 11:37:20 CST 2011

"Back to the NPR issue, I think Urbana-Champaign is really lucky to have WEFT and WRFU.  Given those two media outlets, it can be easy to say that WILL is shit, and why do we need it anyway, when we have two really great community stations there already.  I grew up in rural North Dakota.  Radio options there were 20 different Clear Channel stations or one NPR.  I'd hate to leave those folks with nothing but distilled corporate media.  I should also note that one of the two NPR stations here actively promotes and produces community developed content, with maybe 30-40% of their weekday airtime going towards locally produced programming.  Without NPR support, that station couldn't keep the lights on, and if they went that would mean a significant loss to the local media infrastructure here. "

Well Damien, you made an extremely convincing arguement with the above paragraph alone !

Just to clarify, C-U's local WILL PBS  radio station is not bad and actually quite good at times compared to the national NPR, which I still contend is NOT much different in their promotion of corporate propoganda and the exclusion of alternative viewpoints as CNN, FOX, et,al. The only difference is the intellectual style and fluff.

I do NOT want to advocate for elimination of CPB as some seem to have interpreted, I want the elimination of corporate funding, and in that regard, I am stating that in it's present form I could care less if the corporate funded and controlled NPR goes under.

I would advocate that local PBS should be preserved and influenced by the community and in addition more support for FREE SPEECH TV, LINK and Al Jazeera at the national level.

David J.