[Peace-discuss] Tax the wealth of the rich

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 5 18:24:20 CST 2011

Marvelous (as ever):

"The Greek phrase Molōn labe! (Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Ancient Greek
pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning 'Come and
take them' is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas I
weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae. It corresponds roughly to the modern
equivalent English phrase 'over my dead body,' 'bring it on' (!) or, most
closely, 'come and get it.' It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase (= a
concise or terse statement, named after Laconia, a polis of ancient Greece
surrounding the city of Sparta proper; a laconism is a figure of speech in which
someone uses very few words to express an idea, in keeping with the Spartan
reputation for austerity...)."

And they're certainly trying to sell us austerity now.

I think indeed we should go and get it. Justification must be ontological, not
only forensic...