[Peace-discuss] Obama and Bush as torturers

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 7 16:09:54 CST 2011

 From <http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn01072011.html>:

...In his first state of the Union address ... Obama declared to the joint
session of Congress that “I can stand here tonight and say without exception or
equivocation that the United States of America does not torture. We can make
that commitment here tonight.” Within days of this guarantee, Obama's Justice
Department lawyers were telling U.S. judges in explicit terms that the new
administration would not be moving on from Bush's policies on the legal status
of renditions and of supposed enemy combatants.

These lawyers from Obama’s Department of Justice emphasized to judges that they,
like DoJ lawyers instructed by Bush’s lawyers, held that captives seized by the
US government and conveyed to secret prisons to be tortured, had no standing in
US courts and the Obama regime has no legal obligations to defend or even admit
its actions in any US courtroom. “Enemy combatants” would not be afforded
international legal protections, whether on the field of battle in Afghanistan
or, if kidnapped by US personnel, anywhere in the world.

The torture system is flourishing, and the boundaries of the American empire
marked by overseas torture centers such as Bagram. There are still detainees in
Guantanamo – as of November last year 174 of them. They are supposedly destined
for a Supermax in Illinois.

For the past seven months 22-year-old U.S. Army Private Bradley Manning, first
an army prison in Kuwait, now in Quantico, Virginia, has been held 23 hours out
of 24 in solitary confinement in his cell, under constant harassment. If his
eyes close between 5am and 8pm he is jolted awake. In daylight hours he has to
respond “yes” to guards every five minutes. An hour a day he is taken to another
cell where he walks figures of eight. If he stops he is taken back to his other
cell.

Manning is accused of giving documents to Wikileaks. He has not been tried or
convicted. Visitors report that Manning is going downhill mentally as well as
physically. His lawyer’s efforts to improve his condition have been rebuffed by
the Army. Accusations that his treatment amounts to torture has been indignantly
denounced by prominent conservatives and some liberals. Gov. Huckabee and others
have called for him to be summarily executed. After the columnist Glenn
Greenwald publicized Manning’s treatment in mid-December, there was a moderate
commotion. The U.N.’s top monitor of torture is investigating his case.

Meanwhile Manning fights for sanity in Quantico. He faces months, if not years,
of the same. Will he end up like accused Chicagoan Jose Padilla, four years in
total isolation and silence before his trial in 2007 (convicted as a terrorist
and given 17 years) , with his lawyer informed by prison staff that Padilla had
become docile and inactive to the point that he resembled “a piece of furniture.”

Memo to British prime minister David Cameron: Resist all extradition requests by
the US government, on the grounds that those accused of terrorism cannot
possibly expect anything but torture and a kangaroo trial. Imagine Julian
Assange’s fate in a US prison, awaiting trial.

As the British lawyer, Yvonne Ridley, put it on this site earlier this week:

“As 2011 dawns the British Prime Minister David Cameron is faced with some hard
choices this year, none more difficult than probably deciding whether or not to
scrap our extradition treaty with the US and refuse to hand over a group of
British citizens to Barack Obama’s America….

“It was Blair’s government that introduced the one-sided 2003 Extradition Treaty
to please and appease the Bush Administration. Legislation drawn up in panic and
haste is never a good idea nor was it wise to allow America to extend its
jurisdiction in to the UK for that is exactly what has happened. And I wonder if
the legislation was really drawn up by UK lawyers since a close inspection of
the original documents reveal the liberal use of American English.

“I would urge Cameron to resist all of the existing US Extradition requests just
as he would if the same demands were being made by some banana republic.”

I wrote here last year,

“The irony is that a moral debate is finally in motion over America’s horrifying
sentencing laws. In New York State, the Rockefeller drug laws, which destroyed
so many thousands of lives with mandatory sentencing, are being modified.
Senator Jim Webb of Virginia is courageously trying to coax into life a national
commission to review the criminal justice system. Webb tells the Washington Post
that cops and prosecutors often target the wrong people and says he believes
society can be made safer while making the system more ‘humane and
cost-effective.’ He flourishes a fine piece by Atul Gawande in the March 30
issue of The New Yorker stigmatizing solitary confinement (‘at least twenty-five
thousand inmates in isolation in supermax prisons’) as torture.”

That forecast sounds foolish now. But then, maybe I was assuming that a man I
mistrusted from the day I clapped eyes on his speeches, would nonetheless
improve the public tone on issues of torture and punishment. In fact Obama in
this area as in so many others has merely given the ethics and practices of the
Bush era his seal of approval.

###