[Peace-discuss] taking advantage of the event

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Jan 10 12:52:46 CST 2011

Expat "Simon Black" writes today -

*****

... If the victim had been Gabrielle the bus driver instead of
Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, it would have barely registered a few
words at the bottom of the CNN news ticker.

With one of their own victimized, however, I'm concerned that
politicians will close ranks, capitalize on the social mood to generate
a renewed faith in government, and pass a host of reactionary
policies... all after sanitizing their Twitter feeds for any reference
to violence, of course.

Perhaps some form of gun control is in the works... though with a
Republican controlled Congress, I'd think new legislation targeting
suspected 'Anti-American subversives' could be on the table, or
something that gives sweeping new powers to government agents and police
forces.

In 1946, the 79th Congress of the United States passed public law 601
giving permanent standing to the House Committee on Un-American
Activities. This committee was authorized significant powers to
investigate 'subversive and un-American propaganda' and assist Congress
in 'necessary remedial legislation.'

Ironically, in its efforts to ensure that America was nothing like the
Soviet Union, the US government began turning the country into a fascist
collective.  Given what may come after the weekend's shooting, I fear we
may be returning to a time when it is increasingly dangerous to be a
free thinking individual anywhere in the West...