[Peace-discuss] Is AWARE any different?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 13 08:48:23 CST 2011

Anti-war group apparently had informant in its midst
by Laura Yuen, Minnesota Public Radio
January 12, 2011

St. Paul, Minn. — The Twin Cities anti-war demonstrators whose homes were raided
last year by federal authorities say one of their volunteers was apparently
spying on them for two and a half years.

Activist Jess Sundin says a woman who went by the name Karen Sullivan joined the
Anti-War Committee in the months leading up to the Republican National
Convention in 2008.

"She was at every meeting with all of us, probably recording many of those
conversations and meetings," Sundin said. "She was very involved in the Anti-War
Committee, and I believe now she was working to gather info not just about the
Anti-War Committee, but all of our political associates. And people need to know
she may have entered reports about them."

Sundin says her group considered Sullivan a friend, and was worried when she
seemed to disappear shortly after the house raids.

Sundin says a federal prosecutor in Chicago told the group to stop trying to
look for Sullivan, because she was a law enforcement officer.

The FBI declined to comment, saying the matter is pending.