[Peace-discuss] Against Civility

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jan 15 16:00:37 CST 2011

[From Doug Henwood]

The horrendous shootings in Tuscon have certainly inspired a lot of drivel from
the commentariat. They were heartbreaking, but please let’s not draw stupid
conclusions from them.

Perhaps most annoying has been the call for a return to civility. Well, no, I
don’t feel like being civil. I like being rude. The problem with the rudeness in
American political discourse is that it’s often so stupid, not that it’s so
rude. The idea that politics can be civil is a fantasy for elite technocrats and
the well-heeled. I’m reminded of something that Adolph Reed once said to me,
characterizing a mutual acquaintance as the kind of person who thinks that if
you could just all the smart people together on Martha’s Vineyard, they could
solve all our social problems. Obviously they couldn’t.

Margaret Atwood once wrote that politics is about “power: who’s got it, who
wants it, how it operates; in a word, who’s allowed to do what to whom, who gets
what from whom, who gets away with it and how.” There’s no way that could be
rendered civil. The field of politics is constituted by vast differences in
interests and preferences. Much of the time, we don’t talk about those things
directly or explicitly. We talk about them in caricature or euphemism, or take
it out on scapegoats.

Some of the so-called left, such as it is, is using Obama’s speech in Tuscon the
other day as an excuse for rediscovering their crush on Obama. On The Nation’s
website, always a rich source for high-mindedness, John Nichols wrote this
(Don’t Tone It Down, Tone It Up: Make Debate “Worthy of Those We Have Lost”):

It has been said that Obama strives for a post-partisan balance. But this was
Obama speaking as a pre-partisan, as an idealist recalling a more innocent
America — and imagining that some of that innocence might be renewed as shocked
and heartbroken citizens seek to heal not just a community but a nation that is
too harsh, too cruel, too divided…. [F]or a few minutes on Wednesday night, we
dared with our president to answer cynicism with idealism, to answer tragedy
with hope, to answer division as one nation, indivisible.”

Really, John, when was this nation ever innocent? When we were trading in slaves
and killing Indians? What act of “healing” will make this nation less divided?
The rich and powerful have a lot of money and might and they’re not going to
give it up easily.

Elsewhere on The Nation website, Ari Berman actually used the phrase “better
angels” to characterize the pres’s rhetorical targets (In Arizona, Obama Appeals
to Our Better Angels). (Uh-oh, I said targets.) This reminded me of Alexander
Cockburn’s great characterization of the role of the mainstream pundit: “to fire
volley after volley of cliché into the densely packed prejudices of his
readers.” But clearly it’s not just the mainstream pundit—so to alternapundits.
It’s not just that these stock phrases grate on the ears—their use is a symptom
that their speaker evading some complexities.

http://lbo-news.com/2011/01/15/radio-commentary-january-15-2011/