[Peace-discuss] Speaking of "democracy"

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 12:05:50 CST 2011

Robert Kaplan is a repulsive creature, but he is more honest than most about the
drawbacks of democratically-elected governments in relation to U.S. "interests."
He is the voice of honest "realism" at the NYT, and honestly reflects their less
forthcoming editorial board.

"Another thing to keep in mind: in terms of American interests and regional
peace, there is plenty of peril in democracy. It was not democrats, but Arab
autocrats, Anwar Sadat of Egypt and King Hussein of Jordan, who made peace with
Israel. An autocrat firmly in charge can make concessions more easily than can a
weak, elected leader — just witness the fragility of Mahmoud Abbas’s West Bank
government. And it was democracy that brought the extremists of Hamas to power
in Gaza. In fact, do we really want a relatively enlightened leader like King
Abdullah in Jordan undermined by widespread street demonstrations? We should be
careful what we wish for in the Middle East."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/opinion/23kaplan.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha212&pagewanted=all