[Peace-discuss] Why Obama is killing people

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jan 24 10:09:21 CST 2011

You know, it is, up to a point, about oil. When I started looking at Cheney from
a different point of view, like, two years ago, I didn't think so: I thought
ideology, I thought protecting Israel ... [but] a lot of it is oil. You talk to
people and they will tell you, "Yeah, there's the wind and the sun but you
[inaudible] it in America and where is it coming from?" And there's always been
an understanding. We tolerate the Saudis, we support the Saudis, who we know
supply an awful lot of salafists ... their various charities are supplying often
the same people we're targeting ... I would argue that there's nothing subtle
about what we do, morally. If you think about it ... we and the Brits always
assume some imperial right to oil in the Middle East.

--from "text as delivered [sic]" of a speech by journalist Seymour Hersh in
Doha, Qatar, on Jan. 17, 2011.