[Peace-discuss] Oppose war & domestic policy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 26 13:02:26 CST 2011

<http://warisacrime.org>

WarIsACrime.org <http://warisacrime.org>

*Freeze Non-War Spending for Five Years?
*

<http://warisacrime.org/primary>

*"So tonight, I am proposing that starting this year, we freeze annual domestic
spending for the next five years." *Thus spoke the President last night.
"Domestic" spending means non-war and non-military spending.  Over half of our
public spending goes to wars and the military.  Even the President's own catfood
(deficit) commission recommended cutting $100 billion.  Why leave it out of the
freeze? This may be why:

*"And we've sent a message ... to all parts of the globe: We will not relent, we
will not waver, and we will defeat you." *That's going to be expensive, and
President Obama promised lower taxes on corporations in the same speech.  He's
already signed off on tax cuts for billionaires.  Spending cuts will have to
come somewhere else.

*It's time to resist: **http://warisacrime.org/primary*

*"Already, we've frozen the salaries of hardworking fe deral employees for the
next two years. I've proposed cuts to things I care deeply about, like community
action programs. The Secretary of Defense has also agreed to cut tens of
billions of dollars in spending that he and his generals believe our military
can do without." * But those little cuts out of the $1 trillion we spend on the
military each year are planned for future years, not this one.  The President is
expected to propose a larger military budget for the third year in a row next
month.  And he has thus far consistently used off-the-books supplemental bills
to add more funding to his wars.

*If you oppose this agenda, add your name now to a growing movement to push back.
*

**http://warisacrime.org/primary**

*And check out the videos and links to further action that we're adding at the
bottom of the page.*

##

Support Justice and Peace:
Donate through Paypal
<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=VVV5963NKLHCU>.

Please help us inform you of activities in your town by logging in at
http://afterdowningstreet.org

Then click on "My account", on "Edit", and on "Personal Information," and type
in your state and zip code.

If you receive this from a friend, you can subscribe by registering at
http://afterdowningstreet.org/user/register<http://warisacrime.org/massmail/optout/a71b9d0f77a7530>