[Peace-discuss] WaPo calls out Admin on backing Mubarak

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 10:51:28 CST 2011

Wow! A split in the US elite on Egypt! We live in "interesting times"!
[...]
But when Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was asked about the
demonstrations, she foolishly threw the administration's weight behind
the 82-year-old Mr. Mubarak.

"Our assessment is that the Egyptian government is stable and is
looking for ways to respond to the legitimate needs and interests of
the Egyptian people," Ms. Clinton said.

The secretary's words suggested that the administration remains
dangerously behind the pace of events in the Middle East.
[...]
Egypt's unstable regime
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/25/AR2011012506315.html

--