[Peace-discuss] wish there were more

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Jul 5 22:27:12 CDT 2011

Thomas Pynchon's wonderful novel /V/. (which I read on my honeymoon) has a
character called Eigenvalue:

"Perhaps history this century, thought Eigenvalue, is rippled with gathers in
its fabric such that if we are situated, as Stencil seemed to be, at the bottom
of a fold, it's impossible to determine warp, woof, or pattern anywhere else. By
virtue, however, of existing in one gather it is assumed there are others,
compartmented off into sinuous cycles each of which had come to assume greater
importance than the weave itself and destroy any continuity. Thus it is that we
are charmed by the funny-looking automobiles of the '30's, the curious fashions
of the '20's, the particular moral habits of our grandparents. We produce and
attend musical comedies about them and are conned into a false memory, a phony
nostalgia about what they were. We are accordingly lost to any sense of
continuous tradition. Perhaps if we lived on a crest, things would be different.
We could at least see."