[Peace-discuss] End the Bogus Debt Debate By Ending the Wars

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 6 10:53:52 CDT 2011

[The debt-and-deficit "debate" between Republicans and Democrats is a charade -
a childish good-cop-bad-cop affair where president and Congress, both working
for the richest 1% of Americans, pretend that they are "compromising" on how to
institute austerity in the US - i.e., to accelerate the transfer of wealth from
the majority to the rich. Wealth is now more concentrated in the US than in
other developed countries, and the Obama administration has increased the
concentration. There is no electoral solution. Americans need to react as in
Cairo's Tahrir Square, Athens' Syntagma Square, etc. --CGE]

image <http://warisacrime.org>

<http://warisacrime.org>

WarIsACrime.org <http://warisacrime.org>

*End the Bogus Debt Debate By Ending the Wars
*

  One Hundred Peace and Social Justice Groups Call Upon Members of Congress to
  Oppose War Funding

Read the letter and the list of signers: http://warisacrime.org/node/58388

*Then Call the Capitol Hill Switchboard: (202) 224-3121*

<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/6503/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=4377>*Freedom
Riding to Gaza*

Fifty years ago, freedom riders traveled by bus into the U.S. South.  Now
American freedom riders are joining their allies from around the world on a
flotilla bound for Gaza.  The U.S. ship is called /The Audacity of Hope/.

The heroes on this ship have pledged to sail unarmed and to refuse to use
violence. The Israeli military, which continues to illegally blockade Gaza,
causing endless suffering to the Gazan people, has pledged to use violent force
to prevent the ships getting through.

The Freedom Riders of 1961 asked the U.S. government to protect them. Its
efforts to do so were too little too late. The Freedom Riders of 2 011 have also
asked the U.S. government to protect them, and thus far received no such
commitment. We can ask the U.S. State Department to ask Israel (recipient of
billions of dollars in U.S. weaponry every year) not to assault this flotilla,
and to allow those transporting aid and letters of good will to reach the
suffering people of Gaza unharmed.

*Update: The State Dept. must also tell Greece to allow the boats to sail.*

CONTACT THE U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/6503/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=4377>

<http://october2011.org>

*Pledge to Stop the Machine in DC in October
*

October 2011 is the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Afghanistan and the
beginning of the 2012 federal austerity budget. It i s time to light the spark
that sets off a true democratic, nonviolent transition to a world in which
people are freed to create just and sustainable solutions.

*"I pledge that if any U.S. troops, contractors, or mercenaries remain in
Afghanistan on Thursday, October 6, 2011, as that occupation goes into its 11th
year, I will commit to being in Freedom Plaza
<http://october2011.org/freedomplaza> in Washington, D.C., with others on that
day with the intention of making it our Tahrir Square, Cairo, our Madison,
Wisconsin, where we will NONVIOLENTLY resist the corporate machine until our
resources are invested in human needs and environmental protection instead of
war and exploitation. We can do this together. We will be the beginning." *

*http://october2011.org*

  ###