[Peace-discuss] Fw: [MEDIAMATTERS] Media Matters Update July 10th, 2011

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 6 14:37:13 CDT 2011

Imagine a MoveOn That Doesn't Answer to Democrats
By davidswanson - Posted on 02 July 2011

On Friday I read in the New York Times that President Obama would be happy to
cut $200 billion out of Medicare in order to inflict pain on his Democratic
base, part of an imagined tradeoff in which the two parties inflict pain on
their imagined bases in order to reduce the deficit without imposing sensible
taxes on billionaires or shrinking military spending to sane levels. Also on
Friday I got an Email from True Majority asking me to celebrate Obama's defense
of Medicare.

We've progressed from "I feel your pain" to "I inflict your pain," and we're
being told to like it.

"President Obama: If you stand up to the Republican hostage-takers and protect
Medicare," it says on MoveOn.org's website, "we will have your back." Or, of
course, even if you don't do that, President Obama, even if the whole idea of it
is based on myths about who is on whose side, MoveOn and most other online
groups that don't have the back of the Republican Party will have yours. That's
the way this game works. Except that it hasn't been working...
/
Full article at
<http://warisacrime.org/content/imagine-moveon-doesnt-answer-democrats>./