[Peace-discuss] AOTA this week (7/26)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jul 24 19:59:15 CDT 2011

Sorry not to make tonight's meeting (responsibilities attendant on getting my
wife's aged aunt to the hospital), but AWARE ON THE AIR will record at the usual
time this week - 1pm Tuesday in the Urbana City Council chambers. (Maybe we'll
ask for a handout.)

By then Obama-Fraud #2 (pretending he was defending Social Security, Medicare, &
Medicaid) will have joined Obama-Fraud #1 (pretending he was anti-war) in the
consciousness of all who care to look, and we'll try to point out its
implications for Obama's Ongoing Murders in the Mideast...

Members and friends of AWARE (MOAs & FOAs) are invited to join the open-ended
discussion (and showing of videos) about the war.

===========
The new introduction to the program, read at the beginning, is as follows:

/"Good evening, & welcome to AWARE ON THE AIR for the 30th week of 2011.

"Our program is presented by members & friends of AWARE, the Anti-War
Anti-Racism Effort of Champaign-Urbana, a local peace group - and brought to you
by Urbana Public Television.

"Each week at this time we bring you news and comment about the wars that the
United States government is conducting around the world, and about the
opposition to them, here and across the country, by people like us who see that
these wars betray our democratic principles.

"Today the US government is threatening, invading, and occupying countries from
North Africa to the Indian subcontinent, and from Central Asia to the Horn of
Africa - a vast circle with a 2,000-mile radius, sometimes called the Greater
Middle East: the US military calls it 'Central Command.'

"This region has the world's greatest concentration of oil and natural gas, and
our government is spending billions of dollars month after month to control it.
Control and not just access to these energy resources is what the US government
wants: we in fact import very little oil from the Mideast, contrary to what
you've heard, but control gives the US government an unparalleled advantage over
oil-hungry rival states in Europe and Asia.

"We're killing people in the Mideast and North Africa because China needs oil,
and our government wants to control where they get it. Our government says that
we're conducting these vastly expensive wars to stop terrorism and protect
civilians; but we can see that, instead, we're killing civilians and creating
terrorists. These wars are against the interests of the vast majority of Americans.

"But the war policy remains essentially the same whether the Republicans or
Democrats are in office. The Obama administration is at least as eager as
earlier ones to kill people to maintain control of the region. More than a
thousand members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan ALONE since Obama
became president - more than under Bush. Of course, many more Afghans than that
have died, and many more Americans than that have received serious injuries..."
/
--CGE