[Peace-discuss] Don't discriminate against the poor: Picket @ 6pmCouncil mtg @ 7pm

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Mon Jul 25 15:19:47 CDT 2011

As an opening disclaimer, I am not a resident of Urbana.  I do agree with Danielle on her two reasons for opposing such an ordinance and I am sure that there are other equally applicable reasons for opposing the ordinance.

However, the point that I find very interesting in this and similar ordinances across the country are clauses like “...panhandling near an ATM or bank or on private property if asked not to or a sign is posted (italics mine).  The italicized phrase lumps together and fails to distinguish between truly private property, such as a residence, and quasi-public private property, such as a mall.  I think that this is a distinction that should be recognized and differentiated in any ordinance with the regulation of said quasi-public private property not being left to the discretion of the property owner but coming under the same regulation as applies to public property.  Giving the owner of quasi-public private property the right to determine who can and who cannot panhandle (or do anything else for that matter) opens the quasi-public private property up for discriminatory behavior that favors persons and groups that the owner supports and against those that they disagree with in an arbitrary and capricious manner.  These quasi-public private properties are not all that much different from restaurants and privately owned public transportation depots which under the civil rights laws could not discriminate even though they may have been private property given their quasi-public functions.  Given that the businesses that are located in malls and other quasi-public private facilities rely on interstate commerce to receive and possibly ship goods, are likely to contain governmentally regulated and licensed businesses like hair and nail salons, outlets that sell and serve liquor, places that serve food and drink, and often received some form of governmental subsidies and tax breaks or incentives when they were built (and sometimes continue to do so after they are built),  federal. state, local, and/or municipal governmental bodies have every right to impose standardized regulations on the malls and the businesses that decide to locate in them just as civil rights laws, health and sanitation codes, etc. are imposed on food service and drinking establishments.

I would say that in such quasi-public private properties, aggressive (or even non-aggressive) panhandling should be totally permitted or totally prohibited by everyone in accordance with the statutes that regulate public properties and that the owners of said quasi-public private properties should not be able to determine who can and who cannot panhandle on their properties.

Just my two cents.