[Peace-discuss] got mlk?

"E. Wayne Johnson 朱稳森" ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Jun 6 19:36:46 CDT 2011

And don't let anybody make you think that God chose America
as his divine, messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world.
God has a way of standing before the nations with judgment,
and it seems that I can hear God saying to America,
"You're too arrogant! And if you don't change your ways,
I will rise up and break the backbone of your power,
and I'll place it in the hands of a nation that doesn't even know my name.
- mlk, 1967.

“We can’t police the world anymore.
We’re not the world power.
It’s China.
Our economy is in chaos right now.”
- congressman walter b. jones

Late last month, an amendment intended to accelerate the withdrawal of
American troops from Afghanistan sponsored by Mr. Jones and
Representative Jim McGovern, Democrat of Massachusetts, nearly passed —
in part because 26 Republicans broke with their leadership to support
it, triple the number who voted for a similar measure last year. Their
ranks included at least three freshmen elected with Tea Party
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/t/tea_party_movement/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>
support.

Some foreign policy analysts now see Mr. Jones, 68, Representative Ron
Paul, Republican of Texas, and a small coterie of Tea Party stalwarts as
the leading edge of a conservative movement to rein in American military
power — a break from the muscular foreign policy of President George W.
Bush.

“They reflect a growing discontent within the Republican Party
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/r/republican_party/index.html?inline=nyt-org>
about the wars and a growing feeling that they don’t want to spend money
on them anymore,” said John Isaacs, executive director of the Council
for a Livable World, an advocacy group that promotes arms control. “They
are military noninterventionists.”

Mr. Jones agreed, saying: “We can’t police the world anymore. We’re not
the world power. It’s China. Our economy is in chaos right now.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/07/us/politics/07jones.html?pagewanted=all