[Peace-discuss] Glenn Greenwald on DN! today (6/20) re US vsBradley Manning et al

Laurie Solomon ls1000 at live.com
Mon Jun 20 11:37:17 CDT 2011

I question if the government’s behavior is becoming scarier and scarier.  I am inclined to believe that it has always been scary and at a level similar to what it is today.  The key differences are that many of the attitudes and actions have come to the surface and become more obvious and known.  You – we – have just begun to realize more and more what goes on and become aware of what was going on beneath the surface for decades – and even centuries.  In short, we never left the McCarthy period and that period was even born of similar environments that existed in the US prior to it.  It has gotten no better or no worse  It is only now more open and transparent to a greater extent than it was during the the time period from McCarthy to now and that is only because previously we opted to ignore, dismiss, or atomize those instances when it surfaced during the F.D.R, Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, G.H. Bush, and G.W. Bush/Cheney periods as being abnormalities, exceptions, and unusual instances.

I would suggest that what is getting scarier and scarier is the fact that we are coming to the clear and unavoidable recognition and realization that Amerika is and always has been the real boogie-man, hypocritical and devious opportunistic actor, and totalitarian autocrat in the world throughout much of its history toward not only other parts of the world but even toward its own residents and citizens.  Ask the Native Americans, the Afro-Americans, the Jews in its history prior to 1960s, the Asian-Americans, Hispanics, new immigrants during any period of US history, etc.  To paraphrase Rap Brown, witch-hunting is as American as apple pie as is most forms of ethic and racial discrimination and exploitation along with an enforced insistence on cultural and political conformity and unquestioning patriotism.