[Peace-discuss] Letter to N-G

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Jun 20 14:05:30 CDT 2011

[At last night's meeting Ron pointed out a rather uninformed letter by a regular
correspondent to the N-G.  I've sent an answer, appended.  Regards, CGE]

To the editor of the News-Gazette:

Henry Seiter Jr. needs to get out more. He claims to be "driving around town,"
but he writes to you (June 19) to ask, "Where are the anti-war protesters loudly
condemning a sitting president who is now actively engaged in four separate wars?"

He obviously hasn't seen us, but we members and friends of AWARE - the Anti-War
Anti-Racism Effort of Champaign-Urbana - continue to demonstrate as we have for
years on the first Saturday of every month, 2-4pm in downtown Champaign, on the
corner of Main and Neil streets. We've been doing that at various locations
around town since before the US invasion of Afghanistan - almost ten years now.

Henry seems to think that we accept the administration's ridiculous assertions
"that Obama's despotic actions are merely 'kinetic military operations' or
'humanitarian outreaches' and not real killing wars."

Henry's quite wrong about us - and quite right about the administration's
propaganda - lies so transparent that they reveal the administration's contempt
for a seriously misled US populace. The US government continues to wage war as
it has for years to control energy resources as an advantage over our world
economic rivals.

But people are not fools. Many realize that in a just world, Barack Obama would
be awaiting trial in The Hague for war crimes exceeding those of Gen. Mladic,
who is in fact there. And in the adjoining cell would be George W. Bush.

Come join us, Henry. I'll lend you my "Impeach Obama" sign.

C. G. ESTABROOK

5 LITCHFIELD LANE

CHAMPAIGN IL 61820

217-359-9466