[Peace-discuss] Obama's Special Pleading

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 22 21:17:03 CDT 2011

President Obama's speech tonight was at once childish and chilling.  He managed
to use a phrase that he's frequently used before -  "take out," in the sense of
kill - twice; he had the Orwellian effrontery to say - between two invocations
of the assassination of Osama bin Laden - "We are a nation that brings our
enemies to justice while adhering to the rule of law"; and the repetition of
another of his favorite terms, "targeting," indicates his continued reliance on
assassination as practiced by those troops upon whom he asks God's blessing, in
his rather surprising conclusion.

That blinding bit of double-think displays his contempt for the public whom he
has to cozen, as does his predictable beginning with " 9-11." That awful
counter-attack to a generation of American exploitation of the Mideast was
neither the reason nor a justification for the decade of torture, murder, and
destruction that successive US administrations have visited upon the people of
the Middle East and North Africa. The US has instead insisted continually since
the Second World War that it will control the greatest energy-producing region
of the world, as an advantage over our economic rivals in Europe and Asia.

But Obama thinks that Americans can be persuaded to accept transparent lies. (He
obviously doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks - the propaganda is for
home consumption.)  He thinks that they can be mollified by the US government's
constant  excuse for killing people in the Middle East ("stopping terrorism")
sufficiently to ignore its real reason for doing so; and he thinks that he can
convince them not to object too much to war from the Maghreb to the Indus
Valley, and from Central Asia to the Horn of Africa - war that is clearly not in
their interest.

Only if Obama can "Scare hell out of the American people" (as Senator Vandenberg
advised President Truman to do at the outset of the Cold War) with the threat of
terrorism, can he get them to continue to allow him to wage that war - a war
that creates the very terrorists whom it is supposed to defeat.

Barack Obama tonight attempted to forestall criticisms of his war policy from
"Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish
and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise
depositary of the public interests"  (as his predecessor Thomas Jefferson said).
Two-thirds of the country oppose Obama's war (although two-third of the Congress
supports it, in our spavined democracy). They must be pacified if the war is to
continue...

Obama must have forgot - if he ever read - Jefferson's strange prayer: "I
tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot
sleep forever" - as he arranges to take out more people whose lands have oil.

###