[Peace-discuss] J-Street

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Mar 4 15:43:36 CST 2011

"The liberal doth protest too much, methinks..."

Aren't attempts to co-opt principled critics of the US/Israeli crimes in the
Mideast obvious?

It is remarkable that Obama got away with co-opting anti-war sentiment in the
last presidential election, as Robert Kennedy attempted to do long ago with the
anti-Vietnam war movement.  (Obama had paid attention to that earlier movement,
as his book shows.)

But isn't it blindingly obvious that J Street exists to do the same thing in
regard to American liberals' view of Israel?

It's practically a mathematical certainty that the AIPAC bad-cop would generate
the J-Street good-cop. Why is there any surprise?

It's important to remember that in good-cop/bad-cop scenarios, it's the bad cop
who's the honest one.