[Peace-discuss] This Time We're Taking the Whole Planet With Us

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Mon Mar 7 20:38:29 CST 2011

Pandora's box, opening— an article by Chris Hedges, which I think strikes the right notes of alarm and despair:

http://www.truth-out.org/this-time-were-taking-whole-planet-with-us68280

“My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
…

…The unrest in the Middle East, the implosion of national economies such as those of Ireland and Greece, the increasing anger of a beleaguered working class at home and abroad, the growing desperate human migrations and the refusal to halt our relentless destruction of the ecosystem on which life depends are the harbingers of our own collapse and the consequences of the idiocy of our elite and the folly of globalization. Protests that are not built around a complete reconfiguration of American society, including a rapid dismantling of empire and the  corporate state, can only forestall the inevitable. We will be saved only with the birth of a new and militant radicalism which seeks to dethrone our corrupt elite from power, not negotiate for better terms.…

(There is a typo in quoting the atmospheric concentration of CO2. It is 392 ppm "now", not as is stated 329ppm—James Hansen warned about exceeding a value of 350 ppm.)