[Peace-discuss] Japanese warning

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 12 14:15:20 CST 2011

Sunday, March 13, 2011

  Meltdown Caused Nuke Plant Explosion: Safety Body

TOKYO (Nikkei)--The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) said Saturday
afternoon the explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant could only have
been caused by a meltdown of the reactor core.

The same day, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501)
<http://e.nikkei.com/e/app/ac/market/companyoverview.aspx?scode=9501>, which
runs the plant, began to flood the damaged reactor with seawater to cool it
down, resorting to measures that could rust the reactor and force the utility to
scrap it.

Cesium and iodine, by-products of nuclear fission, were detected around the
plant, which would make the explosion the worst accident in the roughly 50-year
history of Japanese nuclear power generation.

An explosion was heard near the plant's No. 1 reactor about 3:30 p.m. and plumes
of white smoke went up 10 minutes later. The ceiling of the building housing the
reactor collapsed, according to information obtained by Fukushima prefectural
authorities.

At a news conference Saturday night, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano
discounted the possibility of a significant leak of radioactive material from
the accident. "The walls of the building containing the reactor were destroyed,
meaning that the metal container encasing the reactor did not explode," Edano said.

The amount of radiation detected inside the plant after 4:00 p.m. slightly
exceeded the dose people can safely receive in a year, according to information
obtained by the Fukushima prefectural government.

The No. 1 reactor shut down automatically soon after a massive earthquake hit
the area Friday, but its emergency core cooling system failed to cool the
reactor's core sufficiently.

NISA is affiliated with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

(The Nikkei March 13 edition)