[Peace-discuss] GE-designed reactors in trouble in Japan have 23 'sisters' in US - including Clinton IL

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 14 22:24:46 CDT 2011

Tokyo Electric to Build US Nuclear Plants
Monday 14 March 2011
by: Greg Palast

I need to speak to you, not as a reporter, but in my former capacity as lead
investigator in several government nuclear plant fraud and racketeering
investigations.

I don't know the law in Japan, so I can't tell you if Tokyo Electric Power Co
(TEPCO) can plead insanity to the homicides about to happen.

But what will Obama plead? The administration, just months ago, asked Congress
to provide a $4 billion loan guarantee for two new nuclear reactors to be built
and operated on the Gulf Coast of Texas - by TEPCO and local partners. As if the
Gulf hasn't suffered enough. Here are the facts about TEPCO and the industry you
haven't heard on CNN:

The failure of emergency systems at Japan's nuclear plants comes as no surprise
to those of us who have worked in the field.

Nuclear plants the world over must be certified for what is called "SQ" or
"Seismic Qualification." That is, the owners swear that all components are
designed for the maximum conceivable shaking event, be it from an earthquake or
an exploding Christmas card from al-Qaeda.

The most inexpensive way to meet your SQ is to lie. The industry does it all the
time. The government team I worked with caught them once, in 1988, at the
Shoreham plant in New York. Correcting the SQ problem at Shoreham would have
cost a cool billion, so engineers were told to change the tests from "failed" to
"passed."

The company that put in the false safety report? Stone & Webster, now the
nuclear unit of Shaw Construction, which will work with TEPCO to build the Texas
plant. Lord help us.

There's more.

Last night, I heard CNN reporters repeat the official line that the tsunami
disabled the pumps needed to cool the reactors, implying that water unexpectedly
got into the diesel generators that run the pumps.

These safety backup systems are the "EDGs" in nuke-speak: Emergency Diesel
Generators. That they didn't work in an emergency is like a fire department
telling us they couldn't save a building because "it was on fire."

What dim bulbs designed this system? One of the reactors dancing with death at
Fukushima Station 1 was built by Toshiba. Toshiba was also an architect of the
emergency diesel system.

Now be afraid. Obama's $4 billion bailout in the making is called the South
Texas Project. It's been sold as a red-white-and-blue way to make power
domestically with a reactor from Westinghouse, a great American brand. However,
the reactor will be made substantially in Japan by the company that bought the
US brand name, Westinghouse - Toshiba.

I once had a Toshiba computer. I only had to send it in once for warranty work.
However, it's kind of hard to mail back a reactor with the warranty slip inside
the box if the fuel rods are melted and sinking halfway to the earth's core.

TEPCO and Toshiba don't know what my son learned in eighth grade science class:
tsunamis follow Pacific Rim earthquakes. So, these companies are real stupid,
eh? Maybe. More likely is that the diesels and related systems wouldn't have
worked on a fine, dry afternoon.

Back in the day, when we checked the emergency backup diesels in America, a
mind-blowing number flunked. At the New York nuclear plant, for example, the
builders swore under oath that their three diesel engines were ready for an
emergency. They'd been tested. The tests were faked; the diesels run for just a
short time at low speed. When the diesels were put through a real test under
emergency-like conditions, the crankshaft on the first one snapped in about an
hour, then the second and third. We nicknamed the diesels, "Snap, Crackle and Pop."

(Note: Moments after I wrote that sentence, word came that two of three diesels
failed at the Tokai Station as well.)

In the US, we supposedly fixed our diesels after much complaining by the
industry. But in Japan, no one tells TEPCO to do anything the Emperor of
Electricity doesn't want to do.

I get lots of confidential notes from nuclear industry insiders. One engineer, a
big name in the field, is especially concerned that Obama waved the come-hither
check to Toshiba and TEPCO to lure them to America. The US has a long history of
whistleblowers willing to put themselves on the line to save the public. In our
racketeering case in New York, the government only found out about the seismic
test fraud because two courageous engineers, Gordon Dick and John Daly, gave our
team the documentary evidence.

In Japan, it's simply not done. The culture does not allow the salary men, who
work all their lives for one company, to drop the dime.

Not that US law is a wondrous shield: both engineers in the New York case were
fired and blacklisted by the industry. Nevertheless, the government (local,
state, federal) brought civil racketeering charges against the builders. The
jury didn't buy the corporation's excuses and, in the end, the plant was,
thankfully, dismantled.

Am I on some kind of xenophobic anti-Nippon crusade? No. In fact, I'm far more
frightened by the American operators in the South Texas nuclear project,
especially Shaw. Stone & Webster, now the Shaw nuclear division, was also the
firm that conspired to fake the EDG tests in New York . (The company's other
exploits have been exposed by their former consultant, John Perkins, in his
book, "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.") If the planet wants to shiver,
consider this: Toshiba and Shaw have recently signed a deal to become worldwide
partners in the construction of nuclear stations.

The other characters involved at the South Texas Plant that Obama is backing
should also give you the willies. But as I'm in the middle of investigating the
American partners, I'll save that for another day.

So, if we turned to America's own nuclear contractors, would we be safe? Well,
two of the melting Japanese reactors, including the one whose building blew sky
high, were built by General Electric of the Good Old US of A.

After Texas, you're next. The Obama administration is planning a total of $56
billion in loans for nuclear reactors all over America.

And now, the homicides:

CNN is only interested in body counts, how many workers burnt by radiation,
swept away or lost in the explosion. These plants are now releasing radioactive
steam into the atmosphere. Be skeptical about the statements that the "levels
are not dangerous." These are the same people who said these meltdowns could
never happen. Over years, not days, there may be a thousand people, two
thousand, ten thousand who will suffer from cancers induced by this radiation.

In my New York investigation, I had the unhappy job of totaling up post-meltdown
"morbidity" rates for the county government. It would be irresponsible for me to
estimate the number of cancer deaths that will occur from these releases without
further information; but it is just plain criminal for the TEPCO shoguns to say
that these releases are not dangerous.

Indeed, the fact that residents near the Japanese nuclear plants were not issued
iodine pills to keep at the ready shows TEPCO doesn't care who lives and who
dies, whether in Japan or the USA. The carcinogenic isotopes that are released
at Fukushima are already floating to Seattle with effects we simply cannot measure.

Heaven help us. Because Obama won't.