[Peace-discuss] As Obama co-opted the anti-war movement....

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 19 17:19:05 CDT 2011

"...Why do we not see furious demonstrations right now, outside everyone of this
country’s 104 nuclear plants. Can the antinuclear movement, with a glorious
activist history now 20 years gone, now not even manage a muted echo of the
turnouts in Germany and France? No. The reason: major environmental
organizations long ago made a devil’s pact with the nuclear industry. Fixated by
their models of AGW, they took the nuclear option. We’re talking here about the
Natural Resources Defense Council, the World Wildlife Fund, the Sierra Club
which forced out David Brower when he opposed Diablo Canyon, (see Jeffrey St
Clair’s piece on today’s site), people like Obama’s White House advisor John
Holdren, along with supposedly progressive outfits like the Bulletin of Atomic
Scientists and the Union of Concerned Scientists, who go on prattling about
'better safeguards,' just like the idiotic Monbiot..."

 From <http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn03182011.html>.