[Peace-discuss] Sorry about that

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 11:11:02 CDT 2011

Thanks for sharing this, Carl. The Army apologizes for the pictures,
not for the actions. GRRR.

I hold this story in direct contrast to the people who claim the US
intervention in Libya is humanitarian.

-karen medina

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:
> US army apologizes for Afghanistan abuse pictures
> By Agence France-Presse
> Monday, March 21st, 2011 -- 7:53 am
>
> WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US Army on Monday formally apologized "for the
> distress" caused by pictures portraying abuse allegedly committed by
> American troops serving in Afghanistan.
>
> "We apologize for the distress these photos cause," said a statement
> released by the Army.
>
> German weekly Der Spiegel earlier Monday published photos that it said
> showed two US soldiers in Afghanistan from a rogue army unit posing with
> dead Afghans.
>
> Two photos, which Spiegel said US authorities had sought to keep secret,
> appear to show two members of a unit that allegedly killed Afghan civilians
> for sport.
>
> In one, a purported soldier, cigarette in hand, holds up the head of a
> blood-spattered man who is apparently dead. In a second, another purported
> soldier is grinning widely while also holding up the same man.
>
> A third photo shows two bodies propped up against a post. Again the people
> in the picture appear to be dead.
>
> The Army statement said the actions seen in the pictures were "repugnant to
> us as human beings and contrary to the standards and values of the United
> States Army."
>
> It noted that the actions portrayed in these photographs were under
> investigation and subject to ongoing US court-martial proceedings.
>
> "These court-martial proceedings speak for themselves," the Army pointed
> out. "The photos appear in stark contrast to the discipline, professionalism
> and respect that have characterized our soldiers' performance during nearly
> 10 years of sustained operations."
>
> The photos relate to an ongoing high-profile case of soldiers accused of
> killing civilians, mutilating their bodies and collecting trophies.
>
> Spiegel said one of the troops in the photos is Corporal Jeremy Morlock, who
> faces charges of premeditated murder in the deaths of three Afghans.
>
> The other, Private Andrew Holmes, stands accused of participating in a plot
> to execute an Afghan man in January, the magazine said.
>
> The plan, supposedly concocted by ringleader Sergeant Calvin Gibbs and
> Morlock, allegedly involved shooting a civilian and tossing a Russian-made
> grenade at the man to make it appear he was an enemy combatant.
>
> In November, Holmes won a temporary reprieve from legal action relating to
> murder charges, according to his lawyer.
>
> Morlock is one of five soldiers charged with murder in the case, while seven
> others are accused of trying to block the investigation, using hashish and
> severely beating a comrade in retaliation for informing superiors.
>
> Spiegel said the US military tried to prevent the publication of the
> pictures, fearing a possible backlash against its troops on the ground in
> Afghanistan.
>
> The well-respected magazine said it had researched the story of the
> [...]

-- karen medina
"The really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain