[Peace-discuss] A new left/right antiwar movement?

C. G. Estabrook carl at newsfromneptune.com
Tue Mar 22 17:28:09 CDT 2011

Blue Dog Democrat Heath Shuler Votes For Speedy Afghanistan Withdrawal
First Posted: 03/22/11

WASHINGTON -- When it comes to congressional alliances, progressive Rep. Dennis
Kucinich (D-Ohio) and Blue Dog Rep. Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) aren't usually
mentioned in the same breath. But last week, Shuler was among the 93 House
lawmakers who voted for Kucinich's ill-fated resolution calling for the speedy
withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan, one of the only conservative
Democrats to do so.

Kucinich's measure, H. Con. Res. 28, would have invoked the War Powers
Resolution and directed President Barack Obama to remove troops from Afghanistan
"by no later than the end of the period of 30 days beginning on the day on which
this concurrent resolution is adopted," or by no later than Dec. 31 if that
proved impossible.

The Ohio Democrat introduced a similar resolution last year, when the House was
under Democratic control, but garnered just 65 votes in support, including five
Republicans. This year, his measure's 93 supporters included eight Republicans.

For critics of the president's strategy, the vote from Shuler -- who last fall
challenged former Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in her bid for the position of
minority leader -- was among the most surprising and encouraging shows of new
support.

"It would be a great service to our country if someone like Rep. Shuler, a
centrist or Blue Dog Democrat, would take a greater role in providing the
President with other options for our country in Afghanistan," said Afghanistan
Study Group director Matthew Hoh, who resigned from his post as a Foreign
Service officer in Afghanistan in 2009 after concluding that the United States
could not achieve its objectives there.

Hoh, a former Marine captain, added: "If Shuler, who has proven himself already
to be a leader within the Democratic Party, takes a bigger role or steps forward
on this issue, he could bring along other centrist Democrats (and possibly
Republicans) who understand that our current policy in Afghanistan costs far
more than it benefits this nation."

Shuler could not be reached for comment for this report, but said in a statement
on his website that his vote was motivated by concerns about the costs of the
war and the use of U.S. national security resources.

"They [U.S. troops] have also worked tirelessly to develop a stable and
responsive democratic government there," Shuler said in the statement. "That
task, however, cannot be completed by American military action. It can only be
accomplished by the Afghan people. Our nation is mired in debt and programs
vital to the health and safety of American communities are on the budget
chopping block. With more than $454 billion already spent on operations in
Afghanistan and another $113 billion requested for the next fiscal year, the
time has come for our troops to come home and for the Afghan people to stand up
for their nation."

In July, Shuler also voted for a defeated amendment that would have required
President Obama to develop a plan and timetable to withdraw troops from
Afghanistan, although it did not specify a deadline or pace.

A large number of the new votes for Kucinich's resolution this year came from
progressive Democrats such as Reps. John Conyers (Mich.), Mike Honda (Calif.)
and Diana DeGette (Colo.) -- members who might have been expected to back a
rapid withdrawal last year, as well. A staffer for one Democratic lawmaker who
opposed the measure last year but now supports it said in an email, "Back then
there were more options for progressives. Now, fewer options and we're closer to
July date. Progressives getting fed-up, less tolerant."

The three new Republican votes came from Reps. Jason Chaffetz (Utah), Howard
Coble (N.C.) and Dana Rohrabacher (Calif.), all of whom have been outspoken in
their criticism of the war's direction.

Notably, both Coble and Shuler are from North Carolina, a state with a heavy
military presence, including eight bases. Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.), who
represents the district encompassing Camp Lejeune, has become one of the leaders
of the effort on the Republican side to convince more lawmakers to explore
alternative courses of action in Afghanistan.

"I was disappointed that not more Republicans voted for it," Jones said
regarding Kucinich's resolution. "I hope more and more Republicans out in the
country will contact their members of Congress and ask them to join in bringing
our troops home. Yes, we did get more votes from the year before, but I'm very
disappointed we didn't get 15, 20 Republicans."

Jones said he was particularly troubled by comments from Defense Secretary
Robert Gates and Gen. David Petraeus indicating that U.S. forces will remain in
Afghanistan even beyond 2014.

"I don't know how any member of Congress -- particularly Republicans -- who are
so concerned about the financial shape of our country want to spend $7 or 8
billion a month to prop up a corrupt government," he said, referring to Afghan
President Hamid Karzai's regime. "It just doesn't make any sense to me. More
important than that is the kids that will be killed and lose their arms and legs."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/heath-shuler-afghanistan-withdrawal_n_838646.html?ref=fb&src=sp#sb=56150,b=facebook