[Peace-discuss] The same war, by any name

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 28 12:11:27 CDT 2011

[The ostensible conservative op-ed columnist for the NYT comes close to
admitting, intentionally or not, that Obama's Libyan adventure is part of the
long-standing US policy in MENA - to secure biddable governments (alliance,
threats, subvention, and intimidation all work) throughout the region of the
world's greatest hydrocarbon resources, and its approaches (the reason that the
US is killing people in Pakistan and Somalia). The US is not concerned about
access - we import little oil from the region - but control, as an advantage
over our economic rivals in Europe and Asia. The world-wide drawback from
nuclear power can only increase the urgency for the US. --CGE]

March 27, 2011
A War By Any Name
By ROSS DOUTHAT

Tonight, in a speech that probably should have been delivered before American
planes began flying missions over North Africa, Barack Obama will try to explain
to a puzzled nation why we are at war with Libya.

Not that the word “war” will pass his lips, most likely. In press briefings last
week, our Libyan campaign was euphemized into a “kinetic military action” and a
“time-limited, scope-limited military action.” (The online parodies were
merciless: “Make love, not time-limited, scope-limited military actions!” “Let
slip the muzzled canine unit of kinetic military action!”) Advertising tonight’s
address, the White House opted for “the situation in Libya,” which sounds less
like a military intervention than a spin-off vehicle for the famous musclehead
from MTV’s “Jersey Shore.”

But by any name or euphemism, the United States has gone to war, and there are
questions that the president must answer. Here are the four biggest ones:

What are our military objectives? The strict letter of the United Nations
resolution we’re enforcing only authorizes the use of air power to protect
civilian populations “under threat of attack” from Qaddafi’s forces. But we’re
interpreting that mandate as liberally as possible: our strikes have cleared the
way for a rebel counteroffensive, whose success is contingent on our continued
air support.

If the rebels stall out short of Tripoli, though, how will we respond? With a
permanent no-fly zone, effectively establishing a NATO protectorate in eastern
Libya? With arms for the anti-Qaddafi forces, so they can finish the job? Either
way, the logic of this conflict suggests a more open-ended commitment than the
White House has been willing to admit.

Who exactly are the rebels? According to our ambassador to Libya, they have
issued policy statements that include “all the right elements” — support for
democracy, economic development, women’s rights, etc. According to The Los
Angeles Times, they have filled what used to be Qaddafi’s prisons with “enemies
of the revolution” — mostly black Africans, rounded up under suspicion of being
mercenaries and awaiting revolutionary justice. According to The Daily Telegraph
in London, their front-line forces include what one rebel commander calls the
“patriots and good Muslims” who fought American forces in Iraq.

Perhaps Obama can clarify this picture. The rebels don’t need to be saints to
represent an improvement on Qaddafi. But given that we’re dropping bombs on
their behalf, it would be nice if they didn’t turn out to be Jacobins or Islamists.

Can we really hand off this mission? Officially, this is a far more multilateral
venture than was, say, the invasion of Iraq. But as Foreign Policy’s Josh Rogin
points out, when it comes to direct military support, this war’s coalition is
“smaller than any major multilateral operation since the end of the Cold War.”
Officially, too, the United States is already stepping back into a supporting
role, as NATO takes over the command. But as Wired’s Spencer Ackerman argues,
the difference between a “high” United States involvement and a “low” military
commitment may prove more semantic than meaningful.

Obama has said our involvement will be measured in “days, not weeks.” With one
week down already, is this really plausible? And anyway, how responsible is it
to commit American forces to a mission and then suggest, as a senior
administration official did last week, that “how it turns out is not on our
shoulders”?

Is Libya distracting us from more pressing American interests? While we’ve been
making war on Qaddafi’s tin-pot regime, our enemies in Syria have been shooting
protesters, our allies in Saudi Arabia have been crushing dissidents, Yemen’s
government is teetering, there’s been an upsurge of violence in Israel, and the
Muslim Brotherhood seems to be moving smoothly into an alliance with the
Egyptian military. Oh, and we’re still occupying Iraq and fighting a
counterinsurgency in Afghanistan and trying to contain Iran.

Last week, The Atlantic’s Jeffrey Goldberg rank-ordered Mideast trouble spots
that “demand more American attention than Libya.” He came up with six:
Afghanistan-Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Yemen’s Qaeda havens, post-Mubarak Egypt and
the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

One can quibble with Goldberg’s ordering but not his broader point. While we
intervene in Libya, what is our Egypt policy? Our Yemen policy? Our Syria
policy? With the entire Middle East in turmoil, does it make sense that
Washington is focused so intently on who controls the highway between Ajdabiya
and Surt?

It’s clear that not everyone in this White House thinks so. Defending the
intervention on “Meet the Press” on Sunday, Robert Gates let slip that he
believes that Libya is not a “vital interest” of the United States.

President Obama’s most pressing task tonight will be to explain why his
secretary of defense is wrong — and why, appearances to the contrary, the
potential payoff from our Libyan war more than justifies the risks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/opinion/28douthat.html?_r=1&hp