[Peace-discuss] Insightful links on OBL

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 19:37:15 CDT 2011

http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2011/05/bin-laden-and-his-sponsors-any.html

But the factors that produced Bin Laden and Al-Qa`idah are still there: the US
is still very tempted to arm and fund fanatical groups if they think it is
politically convenient for US "national security interests."  Look at that lousy
Libyan Transitional Council: there are fanatics in the ranks and I assume that
we will hear from some of them, especially once they declare the victory of
their "holy cause."

http://mondoweiss.net/2011/05/in-search-of-meaning-osama-bin-laden-and-the-dancing-americans.html

The idea of celebrating any death is repulsive. But perhaps, if anyone living
today might venture even a sigh of relief at the capture (at least) of Osama Bin
Laden (and the presumed symbolic defeat of Al Qaeda, whatever that might mean),
it is the countless Muslims and Arabs that have, since 9/11, paid with their
lives and dignity, directly and indirectly, for his atrocious acts in the name
of countering imperialism and defending Islam. But if you don't see us dancing
in the streets today it is because Al-Qaeda is and has been beyond irrelevant
for years. For the last decade, the US War on Terror has reproduced the Osama
Bin Laden fiction, transforming him from a relic of Cold War alliances to a
contemporary alibi for the brutal invasion and murderous missions in Afghanistan
and Pakistan. Those of us that know history did not begin on September 11th have
been resisting the abrasive, suffocating encroachment of imperialist and
reactionary elements on our lives and identities, building up to the present
moment of revolution: between Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Bahrain and
the rest of the region, Arabs, Muslim or otherwise, are fighting to end the age
of US puppet regimes on their own terms. One cannot help but wonder what
"victory" the United States can claim in the murder of Osama Bin Laden on
Pakistani soil.

http://www.maxajl.com/?p=5280

In a similar vein, Richard Estes writes of the “perverse, unac­knowl­edged
alliance between al-Qaeda, neolib­er­als and neo­con­ser­v­a­tives, as all three
groups are in agreement about the urgency asso­ci­ated with the need to
mar­gin­al­ize and impov­er­ish workers even if it is in the service of
strik­ingly different visions of the future,” neatly tying up in a bundle what
the forceful destruc­tion of the left in the Arab world and the withering away
of the left in the Anglo-American world has left us with: various dystopias and
demagogic rabble-rousing to get us to them, as poor as possible. Forget Osama.
Do I feel safer when the louder the voice is the stupider it is? No, not really.
Neither should you.