[Peace-discuss] [PBD - Progressive Blog Digest] 5/15/2011 06:52:00 AM

Nick Burbules burbules at gmail.com
Sun May 15 14:08:50 CDT 2011

Hi David,

I am not interested in debating you, but I did read the article and I find
Paul's position a mixture of things I agree with and things I don't.

I favor some degree of legalization, and I agree that many of our drug laws
are counterproductive. I also agree that they are disproportionately applied
to minority segments of society, with disastrous social consequences and an
unconscionable level of incarceration.

At the same time, I think it is intellectually dishonest for him to say (as
he does)
*
*
*You know what? If we legalize heroin tomorrow, everybody`s going to use
heroin. How many people here would use heroin if it was legal? I bet nobody
would put their hand up, Oh, yes, I need the government to take care of me.
I don`t want to use heroin, so I need these laws! . . *
*
*
*But it`s the concept of legalizing freedom, making choices by individuals
and assuming responsibility for themselves. And even though that was a
special statement about how many people would do it if it were legalized,
you know, most people aren't going to use heroin. More people use heroin
because it`s illegal.*
*
*
I think this is a specious argument. Of course most people aren't going to
use heroin. That isn't the issue.