[Peace-discuss] [Peace] anybody to organize a discussion of preempting US support for this?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 5 12:12:18 CDT 2011

Perhaps we in C-U need a forum - at least one 'teach-in' - critiquing
US government policy in the Greater Middle East (which now apparently
includes North & East Africa if not Nigeria as well).

Country by country presentations ("US government policy toward Iraq/
Iran/Israel/Pakistan/Saudi Arabia/Somalia/Egypt /Libya etc.") should
consider what the policy is and whom it benefits. (Working title - "US
policy in the Greater Middle East: Cui Bono?") It's clear now that the
policy doesn't change much  from administration to administration, so
we can avoid the calculated distraction of the election campaign.

It seems that the rather pusillanimous faculty at UIUC is unwilling to
tackle the matter, particularly publicly, so maybe AWARE should do it.
A panel in the week after the Thanksgiving break might be possible.

For openers, here's the summary with which we begin "AWARE on the Air"
each week:
[a] Each week at this time we bring you news and comment about the
wars that the United States government is conducting around the world,
and about the opposition to them, here and across the country, by
people like us who see that these wars betray our democratic principles.
[b] Today the US government is threatening, invading, and occupying
countries from the Maghreb to the Indian subcontinent, and from
Central Asia to the Horn of Africa - a vast circle with more than a
2,000-mile radius, sometimes called the Greater Middle East: the US
military calls it "Central Command."
[c] This region has the world's greatest concentration of oil and
natural gas, and our government is spending hundreds of billions of
dollars month after month to control it. Control and not just access
to these energy resources is what the US government wants: we in fact
import very little oil from the Mideast, contrary to what you've
heard, but control gives the US government an unparalleled advantage
over its oil-hungry rivals in Europe and Asia.
[d] We're killing people in the Mideast and North Africa because China
needs oil, and our government wants to control where they get it. Our
government says that we're conducting these vastly expensive wars to
stop terrorism and protect civilians; but we can see that, instead,
we're killing civilians and creating terrorists. These wars are
against the interests of the vast majority of Americans.
[e] But the war policy remains essentially the same whether
Republicans or Democrats are in office. The Obama administration is at
least as eager as earlier ones to kill people to maintain control of
the region. More than a thousand members of the U.S. military have
died in Afghanistan alone since Obama became president - more than
during both Bush administrations. Of course, many more Afghans than
that have died, and many more Americans than that have received
serious injuries.