[Peace-discuss] IVAW demonstration at Rep. Johnson's office

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Thu Nov 10 16:46:20 CST 2011

On 11/10/11 11:43 AM, Karen Medina wrote:
> This paragraph is worth noting to Johnson's staff.
> Johnson supports "full benefits, adequate healthcare (including mental
> health), and other supports for returning servicemen and women" - when
> he can do so without voting for more money for killing people in the
> Mideast and Africa.
>
> Let's tell him we are holding him to it.
>
> -karen medina

Yes!

If Johnson really values support for veterans above debt reduction, and
feels stung that there are protestors at his door, there are things that
his office can say and that he can do.

If Johnson feels victimized by the construction of military funding
bills in Congress, and torn between wishing to end the wars and to
support veterans who've fought in them, then: he can (a) say that he
objects to the bills as they stand, and (b) can offer other bills, or
better, amendments to other bills that need to pass, to provide funding
support for veterans. He *is* in Congress, after all.  Along with lots
of other Representatives of both parties who say they stand by veterans.

    Stuart