[Peace-discuss] the pledglings

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sun Nov 13 08:21:30 CST 2011

(As a boy, I used to think that "indivisible" meant you can't see it.
Later, I thought it was sort of ridiculous for grown folk to make a
pledge to a piece of cloth on a stick,
but Laurence Vance finds another reason not to...)

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to
the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible,
with liberty, and justice for all."

...just because the phrase "under God" in the Pledge doesn't violate the
Constitution doesn't mean that it belongs in the Pledge or, more
importantly, that Christians should recite the Pledge.
One reason why Christians should not recite the Pledge is a simple one,
and one that has nothing to do with patriotism or religion.

The United States is not a nation "under God."

The United States is in fact about as far from being "under God" as any
country on the planet.

The United States leads the world in the incarceration rate, the total
prison population, the divorce rate, car thefts, rapes, total crimes,
illegal drug use, legal drug use, and Internet pornography production.

At least the United States is second to Russia when it comes to abortions.

According to the Guttmacher Institute, "nearly half of pregnancies among
American women are unintended, and about four in 10 of these are
terminated by abortion" and "twenty-two percent of all pregnancies
(excluding miscarriages) end in abortion." There are over 1,700 abortion
providers in the United States. And even worse, 37 percent of women
obtaining abortions identify as Protestant and 28 percent as Catholic.

Only a madman would say that the United States is a nation "under God."

*

One Reason Why Christians Should Not Recite the Pledge of Allegiance
http://lewrockwell.com/vance/vance266.html