[Peace-discuss] Best account I've seen of today in NY

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Nov 17 22:37:14 CST 2011

A walk on the not-so-wild side
By Michael J. Smith on Thursday November 17 09:07 PM

...[The police] were fairly restrained. I didn't see any clubbings or
beatings, this time. They just pushed us back and re-erected their
[metal barriers].

But it was interesting to see them up close -- four feet, three feet
away. They were scared. You could see it in their faces. They were
trying to keep that stony automaton cop look in place, but it wasn't
working. They were pale and jittery. The facial musculature was tense
and drawn, the eyes way too wide, the pupils dilated, the eyes darting
-- a world away from that slow scanning look they teach at the 'police
academy', surely one of the most hilarious phrases ever coined, and on
so many levels, too.

They're cowards, really, the cops. They're trained -- and probably
predisposed, or why would they be cops in the first place? -- for
situations in which they have the overwhelming advantage. They're not
happy otherwise. Vikings they ain't.

You could read these guys' minds very easily. They knew that if we got
pissed-off enough and really decided to charge, they would be going
down under our feet. Oh, they could go down clubs-flying, sure, and
take a few of us with them. Most were not visibly carrying pistols,
though some were, and the latter group could have taken out maybe a
dozen or so of us apiece before they were trampled into a bloody pulp
on the pavement. But they would still be going down, if we charged,
clubs or not, pistols or not. They knew it, and you could tell they
knew it...

Complete article at <http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org/>.